Howard Privette is an experienced trial lawyer who consistently develops innovative strategies for resolving the most challenging cases. Mr. Privette is the chair of the firm’s class action practice and managing partner of the Los Angeles office. Clients look to Mr. Privette when they need sophisticated representation in high-stakes and bet-the-company cases, or when they need assistance with sensitive internal investigations and the threat of action by the SEC, DOJ, and other regulators.
With more than 25 years of practice, Mr. Privette represents U.S. and global clients in a wide range of complex business disputes in courts across the United States. For example, Mr. Privette’s cases encompass disputes over business ownership issues, trade secrets, privacy and cybersecurity, false claims act and whistleblower issues, alleged corrupt practices (FCPA), price-fixing and market power, and alleged violations of regulations affecting the financial, energy, and life sciences industries.
Mr. Privette is a noted thought leader in the area of shareholder and fiduciary duty litigation. He has successfully defended dozens of class actions involving claims by consumers and shareholders.
Awards & Recognitions
- Daily Journal‘s “Top Verdicts of 2011” for trial victory in Homestore securities class action
- Ranked in the Top-10 U.S. litigation matters in the Financial Times’ 2012 Innovative Lawyers report for successful defense of Homestore securities class action
- Ranked in the Top-10 litigation matters in the Financial Times’ 2011 Innovative Lawyers report for UBS auction rates securities victory
- Daily Journal’s “Top Defense Verdicts of 2014” for insider trading trial victory in SEC v. Moshayedi
- Recognized in every year of eligibility as a “Super Lawyer” (2004-2017).
- Avvo rating of 10.0 “Superb.”
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated (5.0 of 5.0) in the areas of Securities Law and Litigation.
AV Preeminent® is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Orange County Bar Association (member, Masters Division & past member, Administration of Justice Committee).
- Member, American Bar Association (Securities Litigation Committee), Association of Business Trial Lawyers, and Federal Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Constitutional Rights Foundation (2008-2017)
- Co-Chair, Paul Hastings pro bono committee (2013-2015)
Publications & Lectures
- One Year After the Yates Memorandum
Dec/Jan 2017 | Today's General Counsel | Read Article
- Tell Them What They Want to Hear: Providing Meaningful Guidance Without Fear of Reprisal
April 2016 | Orange County Business Journal | Read Article
- The C-Suite in the Crosshairs: Federal Prosecutors Are Primed to Target Corporate Executives
October 19, 2015 | Orange County Business Journal | Read Article
In the News
- Three Greenberg Gross Partners Selected as 2018 Southern California Super Lawyers – Gross and Privette Named Top 50 Orange County
January 30, 2018 | News | Read Article
- Greenberg Gross LLP Opens LA Headquarters and Announces Year-End Bonuses Will Exceed Cravath’s Scale
December 6, 2016 | Press Release | Read Article
- Greenberg Gross Profiled in Daily Journal
October 21, 2016 | Los Angeles Daily Journal | Read Article
- Howard Privette Featured in Attorney Journal Magazine
October 6, 2016 | Attorney Journal | Read Article
- Greenberg Gross LLP Expands Practice With Nationally Prominent Class Action Litigator
February 1, 2016 | Press Release | Read Article