David Stein is a partner at the firm’s Orange County office where his practice focuses on IP litigation and complex commercial litigation. He is also the chair of the firm’s IP litigation practice. Mr. Stein has over 20 years of experience handling complex cases in courts across the country and has tried 15 cases to verdict. Mr. Stein’s patent litigation cases span a number of technologies including semiconductor devices and processing, medical devices, sporting goods, agricultural products, retail and hospitality, and various business methods.
- Trial counsel for plaintiff in a whistleblower/wrongful termination lawsuit. The jury found for plaintiff on all counts and rendered a seven-figure verdict.
- Defended a provider of personal navigation services in a patent infringement case relating to a system for providing traffic information to a plurality of mobile users connected to a network. Traffic Information, LLC v. Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., et al.
- Defended a leading global provider of solid-state drive solutions in a patent litigation suit involving 12 different patents relating to solid-state drives employing a controller chip and a plurality of NAND flash devices. Solid State Storage Solutions, Inc. v. STEC, Inc., et al.
- Defended two of the world’s largest hotel companies in a patent infringement suit relating to a system for marketing goods and services utilizing computerized central and remote facilities. Variant Holdings LLC, et al. v. Hilton Hotels Holdings, et al.
- Defended a construction company in a patent infringement case relating to a fluid storage tank trailer used for providing and storing industrial fluid storage, such as hydraulic fracturing fluids, at temporary locations, such as drilling sites for oil and gas wells. The Modern Group Ltd., et al. v. Pinnacle Companies, Inc., et al.
- Defended one of the world’s largest hotel companies in a patent infringement suit relating to an electronic timeshare exchange for trading timeshare interests in vacation properties. Vacation Exchange, LLC v. Wyndham Exchange and Rentals, Inc., et al.
- Defended a global hotel company in a patent infringement case relating generally to information management and synchronous communications. The accused services include the defendants’ online and mobile reservation system, including integration with email and social media applications. Ameranth, Inc. v. Hilton Resorts Corp., et al.
- Defended an international direct marketer of computer and electronic products and services in a patent infringement suit relating to PC-CPU motherboards with a common fault-tolerant power supply. Consolidated Work Station Computing, LLC v. Acer America Corp., et al.
- Defended a global diversified technology and manufacturing company in a patent infringement suit relating to control, monitoring and/or security systems for homes, buildings and cars. Joao Control and Monitoring Systems of California, LLC v. ACTI Corp., Inc., et al.
Awards & Recognitions
- Lead Trial Counsel for “Top Verdict of 2018,” Daily Journal
- Named a Southern California Super Lawyer (2020)
- Recognized as Leading Patent Litigator, IAM Patent 1000 for 2014-2016 and 2019
- Public Counsel Outstanding Pro Bono Service Award
Professional & Community Activities
- President-elect and Board of Directors, Federal Bar Association for the Central District of California – Santa Ana Division
- Lawyer Representative, Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Magistrate Judge Selection Committee for the Central District of California
- Participant, Sedona Conference, Inaugural Working Group on Trade Secrets Issues
- President, Board of Directors, and Master, Howard T. Markey IP Inn of Court
- Faculty/Instructor/Program Coordinator, National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA)
- Adjunct Faculty – UCI Law School – Teaching Trial Advocacy
- Adjunct Faculty, Whittier Law School
- Adjunct Faculty, UC-Irvine Undergraduate
- Intellectual Property Owner’s Association (IPO), Litigation Committee
- Liaison to the Court for the Central District of California Pro Bono Panel
- Liaison to the Court for the Eastern District of Texas Pro Bono Panel
- Planning Committee, Federal Circuit Bench/Bar Conference
- Planning Committee, Eastern District of Texas Bench/Bar Conference
- Board Member, Orange County Stanford Association
In the News
- Greenberg Gross LLP Partners Selected as 2020 Southern California Super Lawyers
January 15, 2020 | Press Release | Read Article
- IAM Patent 1000 Recognizes Partner David Stein as a Leading Patent Litigator
August 6, 2019 | News | Read Article
- Greenberg Gross Recognized for Two “Top Verdicts” of 2018
February 22, 2019 | Press Release | Read Article
- Greenberg Gross’s $2.8 Million Verdict Featured in the Los Angeles Times
August 7, 2018 | Los Angeles Times | Read Article
- Greenberg Gross LLP Wins $2.8 Million Jury Verdict in Whistleblower Suit Against Montebello Unified School District
July 24, 2018 | Press Release | Read Article
- Daily Journal: Greenberg Gross Growth Continues With Addition of Top IP Litigator
March 9, 2017 | Los Angeles Daily Journal | Read Article
- Greenberg Gross LLP Adds Renowned Intellectual Property Trial Lawyer David M. Stein
March 7, 2017 | Press Release | Read Article
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1996
B.A. with Honors, Stanford University, 1993
- State of California
- State of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
© 2020 Greenberg Gross LLP | All Rights Reserved.
Attorney Advertising / Disclaimer