Matthew Ingles focuses his practice on complex business litigation and arbitration, and routinely counsels clients on a wide variety of issues where a client’s business and the law intersect. He has achieved highly favorable results for some of the world’s most prominent technology companies and financial institutions, and is regarded as being both pragmatic and creative in his approach to navigating his clients’ most difficult challenges.
Mr. Ingles has significant experience with a wide-range of legal issues, having litigated cases involving breach of contract, fraud, business torts, defamation, real estate, consumer class actions, unfair competition, trade secrets, antitrust, securities and investments, and government investigations. Mr. Ingles has been involved in several noteworthy disputes that have resulted in his cases being covered by the national media, including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, and the Hollywood Reporter.
Prior to joining Greenberg Gross, Mr. Ingles spent nearly a decade practicing commercial litigation in the Los Angeles and New York offices of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. He began his career as a Special Assistant District Attorney with the Kings County District Attorney’s Office in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he was a first-chair trial attorney and tried several cases to verdict.
Mr. Ingles obtained his law degree, cum laude, from Seton Hall University School of Law, where he was a Senior Editor of the Law Review, competed on the Interscholastic Moot Court Board, and served as a Teaching Fellow in contract law. He earned his Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, cum laude, from Loyola University Maryland, where he played ice hockey.
- Currently serving as lead counsel to of one of Los Angeles’s most successful start-ups in a breach of contract litigation.
- Served as trial counsel in successful two week arbitration concerning breach of a manufacturing and marketing contract between a non-profit entity and a consumer goods company. Ingles helped lead a team that secured victory on both affirmative breach of contract claims and on the opposing party’s breach of contract and fraud counterclaims.
- As lead counsel, secured dismissal of all claims against a well-known actor in a business fraud case.
IP and Trade Secrets
- Represented the world’s largest software company in a multi-billion dollar lawsuit against the world’s largest cellular phone company in the Southern District of New York concerning the effect of a major acquisition on the companies’ patent cross-license agreement.
- Secured dismissal of all claims and affirmance by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on behalf of world’s largest software company in federal antitrust and intellectual property litigation. Successfully defeated plaintiff’s motion for certiorari to the United States Supreme Court.
- As counsel of record, obtained dismissal of all claims without leave to amend for a shipping and distribution company in an international trade secrets litigation in federal court.
Real Estate Litigation
- Successfully represented outdoor media company in several lawsuits involving highly valuable commercial real estate in Los Angeles, including one lawsuit in which Mr. Ingles successfully argued against summary adjudication.
- Obtained judgment on the pleadings and summary judgment for an energy cooperative in federal litigation concerning the commercial lease of a power plant in North Dakota.
- Represented major investment bank in its divestiture litigation over a $22 billion real estate investment trust. After an expedited trial before the Southern District of New York, the court found for the bank on all issues, allowing it to dispose of several billion dollars in disputed assets.
- Served as lead counsel to a French nutraceutical company in federal litigation arising out of a commercial real estate transaction. Settled case on favorable terms.
Class Action Litigation
- Represented the world’s largest consumer drone manufacturer in a consumer class-action suit in California state court concerning false advertising claims. Settled case on favorable terms.
- Represented French nutraceutical company in a federal consumer class-action litigation concerning false advertising claims related to a weight loss supplement that resulted in a favorable settlement for his client.
- Currently representing multiple directors and officers of a large investment fund in a shareholder litigation and related SEC action concerning alleged securities fraud.
- Represented two major investment banks in multiple litigations over each banks’ sales of hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of residential mortgage backed securities.