Wayne R. Gross
One of the nation’s top trial lawyers, Wayne Gross has been selected to serve as lead trial counsel by companies, executives, and celebrities in their highest-stakes litigation matters. He has been repeatedly selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, including most recently being named “Lawyer of the Year – Litigation – Regulatory Enforcement” in Los Angeles by The Best Lawyers in America 2021 [Lawyer of the Year]. He has been named as one of the Top 100 lawyers in California by the Daily Journal [Top 100], and a “Winning Litigator” by the National Law Journal [Winning Litigator].
Wayne Gross is one of the very best trial lawyers in the entire country.
– Erwin Chemerinsky, Dean, UC Berkeley School of Law
Mr. Gross is equally adept at representing plaintiffs and defendants. Three of his trial verdicts have been listed as among the Top Plaintiff and Defense Verdicts of the Year in California. In a Top Plaintiff Verdict of 2011, Mr. Gross and his team obtained a jury verdict of more than $50 million, including $34 million in punitive damages, in a case involving real estate development ventures in Hollywood, California [Law360 – How They Won It]. In a Top Defense Verdict of 2018, Mr. Gross and his team obtained a complete defense verdict on behalf of an AmLaw 200 law firm in a jury trial in which the plaintiffs sought approximately $600 million for alleged violations of civil RICO and other torts [Top Defense Verdict].
Mr. Gross, a former federal prosecutor, devotes a part of his practice to internal investigations, corporate crisis management, and white collar defense. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Gross served as a supervisory federal prosecutor in Los Angeles and Orange County and prosecuted cases of international significance, including the UCI Fertility case, the Katarina Witt stalker case, and one of the first criminal trademark infringement cases brought to trial in Southern California. His primary area of emphasis was financial fraud and health care fraud, for which he was presented with awards by two U.S. Attorneys General and the Director of the FBI [Profile of Prosecutorial Career].
Mr. Gross has appeared as a legal commentator on CNN, PBS, and Inside OC [Compilation of News Appearances]. He serves on the Board of Advisors for UC Irvine School of Law and has served as a law school adjunct professor at Loyola Law School. He served as a law clerk to the Honorable Laughlin E. Waters of the United States District Court, Central District of California.
Mr. Gross served in 2013 as president of the Orange County Bar Association, the second largest bar association in the State of California.
- Obtained defense jury verdict for defendant AmLaw 200 law firm in case seeking $600 million in damages for alleged violations of civil RICO and other torts.
- Obtained defense jury verdict for defendant global engineering firm, and $8 million judgment on counterclaim, including $2 million in punitive damages.
- Obtained jury verdict of $50 million for real estate developer on counterclaim arising from repudiation of joint venture development project in Hollywood, California.
- Obtained defense verdict for television station and CEO against a former CEO alleging fraud and breach of contract.
- Obtained defense jury verdict for manufacturing company against former partner alleging fraud and breach of contract.
- Obtained dismissal of wage and hour class action in preliminary phase of litigation.
- Obtained dismissal of consumer class action in preliminary phase of litigation.
- Obtained consent decree against City and County of San Francisco to end dangerous and illegal conditions in the Tenderloin neighborhood and provide safe shelter to the unhoused.
Corporate Crisis and White Collar Defense
- Defense of former president of public company charged by the Federal Trade Commission with violating the FTC Act.
- Defense of principal of debt-settlement advertising company in investigation by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Defense of former CEO of failed bank in a lawsuit alleging gross negligence, filed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- Defense of former CFO of a public company in a lawsuit alleging securities fraud filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Defense of Fortune 500 company in unfair business practices and false advertising matter.
Criminal Prosecution at U.S. Attorney’s Office
- Criminal trademark infringement trial against a defendant who manufactured and sold thousands of cans of counterfeit Similac infant formula to consumers throughout California.
- Criminal fraud trial against a defendant doctor who, along with his partners, practiced medicine at UCI and engaged in various schemes, including billing fraud, tax evasion, and misappropriation of human eggs and embryos.
- Criminal obscenity trial against a defendant who stalked an international figure skating star.
- Criminal fraud trial against two defendants who operated an insurance brokerage firm that fraudulently created and sold more than $15 million in counterfeit construction surety bonds.
- Criminal fraud trial against a defendant who engaged in a multimillion-dollar bank fraud scheme.
Awards & Recognition
- Lawyer of the Year – Litigation – Regulatory Enforcement in Los Angeles, The Best Lawyers in America 2021
- Top 100 Lawyers in California, Daily Journal
- Winning Litigators, National Law Journal
- Elite Boutique Trailblazer, National Law Journal
- Top Defense Verdicts of 2018, Daily Journal
- Top Plaintiff Verdicts of 2018, Daily Journal
- Top Ten California Verdicts for 2011, Daily Journal
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed, Super Lawyers
Professional & Community Activities
- President, OCBA Charitable Fund (2014)
- President, Orange County Bar Association (2013)
- Board of Directors, Goodwill of Orange County
- Board of Directors (Former), Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Board of Directors (Former), Constitutional Rights Foundation
- Board of Directors (Former), Federal Bar Association, Orange County Chapter
- Adjunct Law Professor, Loyola Law School and Chapman Law School
One Year After the Yates Memorandum
Today's General Counsel | December 2016 |
The C-Suite in the Crosshairs: Federal Prosecutors Are Primed to Target Corporate Executives
Orange County Business Journal | October 2015 |
Safeguarding the Attorney-Client Privilege for Legal and Business Advice
Orange County Business Journal | August 2014 |
The Privilege of Service Continues
OC Lawyer Magazine | December 2013 |
Our Code of Honor
OC Lawyer Magazine | November 2013 |
Elect to Participate
OC Lawyer Magazine | October 2013 |
OC Lawyer Magazine | September 2013 |
Why We Wear Ties
OC Lawyer Magazine | August 2013 |
Lessons in Judicial Grace
OC Lawyer Magazine | July 2013 |
The Power of Saying Yes
OC Lawyer Magazine | June 2013 |
Making Justice a Reality for All
OC Lawyer Magazine | May 2013 |
OC Lawyer Magazine | April 2013 |
A Song of Justice
OC Lawyer Magazine | March 1, 2013 |
I Know Where You Live
OC Lawyer Magazine | February 2013 |
This Is Your Canvas
OC Lawyer Magazine | January 2013 |
Daily Journal Again Names Greenberg Gross One of California’s Top Boutique Law Firms
October 2021 |
Five Greenberg Gross Lawyers Honored by The Best Lawyers in America 2022, including Evan Borges as “Lawyer of the Year”
News | August 2021 |
Founding Partners Alan Greenberg and Wayne Gross Again Named to List of Top 100 Lawyers in California
News | September 2020 |
Wayne Gross Selected As “Lawyer of the Year” and Three Greenberg Gross Partners Selected As The Best Lawyers in America 2021
News | August 2020 |
BREAKING: Uber Must Face $1B Trade Secrets Suit, Jury Finds – Law360
Law360 | February 2020 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Partners Selected as 2020 Southern California Super Lawyers
Press Release | January 2020 |
Wayne R. Gross Recognized by The National Law Journal as 2019 Elite Boutique Trailblazer
News | November 2019 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Named to 2020 “Best Law Firms” List by U.S. News – Best Lawyers
Press Release | November 2019 |
Greenberg Gross Recognized in Benchmark Litigation California 2020
Press Release | October 2019 |
Alan A. Greenberg and Wayne R. Gross make The National Law Journal’s 2019 list of Winning Litigators
National Law Journal | September 2019 |
Greenberg Gross Partners Selected As The Best Lawyers in America 2020
Press Release | August 2019 |
Greenberg Gross Case Named among The Recorder’s Top Verdicts of 2018
Press Release | July 2019 |
Greenberg Gross Announces New Partner Deborah Mallgrave
Press Release | June 2019 |
Greenberg Gross Recognized for Two “Top Verdicts” of 2018
Press Release | February 2019 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Again Ranked Among “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News – Best Lawyers
Press Release | November 2018 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Wins Defense Verdict for AM Law 200 Law Firm Against Heirs of Dairy Empire
Press Release | September 2018 |
Founding Partners of Greenberg Gross Named in List of Top 100 Lawyers in California
News | September 2018 |
$17 Million Settlement Approved – Alleged Violation of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act
Press Release | September 2018 |
Three Partners Selected As The Best Lawyers in America 2019
News | August 2018 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Wins $2.8 Million Jury Verdict in Whistleblower Suit Against Montebello Unified School District
Press Release | July 2018 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Ranked in Benchmark Litigation California 2018; Both Founding Partners Ranked as Local Litigation Stars
News | June 2018 |
Daily Journal Names Greenberg Gross One of California’s Top Law Firms
Los Angeles Daily Journal | October 2017 |
OC Register: Greenberg Gross Donation to Double Goodwill OC's Career Center Services
The Orange County Register | May 2017 |
Daily Journal: Greenberg Gross Beats Cravath Bonus Scale
Los Angeles Daily Journal | December 2016 |
Greenberg Gross Profiled in Daily Journal
Los Angeles Daily Journal | October 2016 |
Greenberg Gross Wins $8.5 Million Judgment for Global Engineering Firm
Press Release | May 2016 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Featured in Coast Magazine's Annual Top Attorneys List
Coast Magazine | October 2015 |
Greenberg Gross Wins Lawsuit for Global Engineering Firm
Press Release | June 2015 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Featured in Attorney Journal Magazine
Attorney Journal | December 2014 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Featured in OC Register Metro Top Attorneys List
OC Register Metro | September 2014 |
Greenberg Gross Founders Selected Again For Inclusion in Best Lawyers
Press Release | August 2014 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Wins Jury Verdict for $2.3 Million in Fraud Suit Against Founder of Dialysis Centers
Press Release | July 2014 |
ABA Journal Features Firm's Culture of Tradition and Excellence
Orange County Business Journal | March 2014 |
OCBJ – Gross Discusses Firm’s Culture of Success
Orange County Business Journal | February 2014 |
“Classy Office” Featured in OC Register Metro
OC Register Metro | February 2014 |
Wayne Gross Named Board Member of Goodwill of Orange County
News | October 2013 |
Founders of Greenberg Gross LLP Selected Again for Inclusion in Best Lawyers
Press Release | August 2013 |
OC Register Metro: A Day in the Life of “Formidable Trial Lawyer” Wayne Gross
OC Register Metro | July 2013 |
OC Business Journal: Greenberg Gross to Look Both Ways on Trial Work
Orange County Business Journal | April 2013 |
Wayne Gross Profiled In LA Daily Journal
LA Daily Journal | New OC bar president sets sights | January 2013 |
Wayne Gross Profiled in Orange County Lawyer Magazine
OC Lawyer Magazine | January 2013 |
How They Won It – Greenberg’s $50M Counterpunch
Law360 | November 2011 |
Developer wins big award
Los Angeles Daily Journal | October 2011 |
Compilation of News Appearances by Wayne Gross
Compilation of appearances by Wayne Gross on Inside OC’s “Consider This."
Wayne Gross at the Orange County Business Journal 11th Annual General Counsel Awards
Partner Wayne Gross introduces Erwin Chemerenski, Dean of Berkeley Law, at the Orange County Business Journal’s 11th Annual General Counsel Awards.
Wayne Gross on PBS Studio SoCal
Wayne Gross appears on PBS show Studio SoCal to discuss the San Bernardino–area Ponzi scheme that caused hundreds of victims to lose their life savings.
Wayne Gross at Orange County Board of Supervisors Meeting
Wayne Gross addresses the Orange County Board of Supervisors on behalf of ACI Jet regarding John Wayne Airport.
Wayne Gross Argues Before Ninth Circuit on Behalf of Amphastar Pharmaceuticals
Wayne Gross argues before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit on behalf of Amphastar Pharmaceuticals in whistle-blowing matter.
OC Metro Hot 25 Interview with Wayne Gross
Wayne Gross discusses his transition from federal prosecutor to private practice at OC Metro Hot 25 event.