Sarah Kelly-Kilgore is a trial and appellate attorney who handles high-stakes and complex cases in state and federal courts across the United States. She has been lead counsel in a number of high-profile cases involving significant national and international public attention, including matters reported in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, and the Boston Globe.
Ms. Kilgore has litigated cases in a wide range of areas of law, including defamation; securities and investments; fraud; business torts; real estate; contracts; corporate governance disputes, shareholder and consumer class actions; federal agency enforcement actions; unfair competition; trade secrets; director and officer liability; fraudulent conveyance; personal injury; and employment. Her clients include public companies, private businesses, executives, and celebrities.
Ms. Kilgore began her career in the litigation department of Paul Hastings, where, in addition to handling complex litigation matters, Ms. Kilgore successfully represented corporate entities and individuals in sensitive investigations. She obtained her law degree from Georgetown University Law Center, where she was Editor in Chief of the American Criminal Law Review.
A former water polo All-American, Ms. Kilgore earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in History from San Diego State University, where she led her team to the NCAA Final Four. Before beginning her legal career, Ms. Kilgore competed as the starting goalkeeper for the Fremantle Marlins, a women’s water polo team based in Perth, Australia. Ms. Kilgore finished her career with the Marlins in 2008, when the team finished with a second consecutive national championship.
Ms. Kilgore is the Administrative Partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
- Successfully represented celebrity in high-profile defamation action before the U.S. Supreme Court, resulting in a full dismissal of claims.
- Obtained summary judgment for the former president and COO of a multinational casino and resorts company in a securities class action in federal court. The summary judgment order was subsequently affirmed by the Ninth Circuit.
- Successfully pursued cross-claim on behalf of engineering company in a state court action involving contract and fraud claims.
- Defended bio-technology company in a shareholder derivative action involving allegations of improper stock option grants to senior executives and directors, resulting in favorable non-monetary settlement.
- Successfully represented former CFO of software company in an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission involving the company’s revenue recognition and accounting practices.
- Represented multinational software engineering company in a London Court of International Arbitration proceeding involving a breach of contract claim based on agreement to provide bespoke software system.
- Successfully represented outdoor media company in several lawsuits involving highly valuable commercial real estate, including one lawsuit in which Ms. Kilgore obtained a contempt order against the opposing parties.
Professional & Community Activities
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Membership Benefits Committee, Member (2019 – present)
- Nominating Committee, Member (2018)
- Business & Corporations Law Section, Executive Committee Member/Barristers Liaison (2017 – 2019)
- Barristers/Young Attorneys Section
- Vice President (2019 – present)
- Assistant Vice President of Special Events (2017 – 2019)
- Continuing Legal Education Chair (2016 – 2017)
- Executive Committee Member (2015 – present)
- American Bar Association, Member
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Member
- Public Counsel Associate Leadership Board, Member
Publications & Lectures
- Bridging the Gap 2019
March 30, 2019 | Speaker, L.A. County Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA
- Building a Book of Business – Beyond the Business Card
March 6, 2019 | Presenter, L.A. County Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA
- Drafting the Deal with Litigation in Mind
March 28, 2018 | Speaker, L.A. County Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA
- Creating an Effective Relationship with In-House Counsel
May 2017 | Author, L.A. Lawyer, Vol. 40, No. 3
- The Challenges of Working with First-Time Experts
September 2016 | Author, L.A. Lawyer, Vol. 39, No. 6
- SEC Increases Enforcement Activity in 2014
November 11, 2014 | Co-Author, Daily Journal
- Yet Another Case Counters 6th Circ.’s Omnicare Reasoning
September 10, 2014 | Co-Author, Law360
- SEC Guidance on Cybersecurity
September 2014 | Co-Author, L.A. Lawyer, Vol. 37, No. 6
- Three Years On: Lessons from “Say on Pay” Shareholder Litigation
December 19, 2013 | Co-Author, Inside Counsel
- Whistleblower Award Is a Bellwether
October 17, 2013 | Co-Author, Daily Journal
- A Global Concern: The Rise of International Securities Litigation
April 8, 2013 | Co-Author, Securities Regulation & Law Report
- Corporate Criminal Liability
Spring 2011 | Co-Author, American Criminal Law Review, Vol. 48, No. 2
In the News
- Greenberg Gross Partner Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Named “Top 40 Under 40” Lawyer in California Daily Journal
August 27, 2019 | Press Release | Read Article
- Greenberg Gross LLP Elevates Star Litigator Sarah Kelly-Kilgore to Partner
August 20, 2018 | Press Release | Read Article
- As Cosby Defamation Cases Reach SCOTUS, Possible Fresh Look at Lawyers’ Free Speech Rights – Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Featured in The National Law Journal
July 19, 2018 | National Law Journal | Read Article