Sarah Kelly-Kilgore is a highly skilled and innovative lawyer with the ability to persuade judges and juries in cases with the highest stakes. She has been lead counsel in a number of high-profile cases involving significant national and international public attention, including matters reported in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Boston Globe.
She is a force to be reckoned with in both trial and appellate courtrooms across the country.
Ms. Kilgore has been featured on numerous top attorney lists, and was named a “Top 40 Under 40” lawyer by the Daily Journal in 2019 [Top 40 Under 40]. She has litigated cases in a wide range of areas of law, including employment litigation; fraud; business torts; defamation; securities and investments; real estate; contracts; corporate governance disputes, shareholder and consumer class action litigation; federal agency enforcement actions; unfair competition; trade secrets; director and officer liability; and fraudulent conveyances. Ms. Kilgore also regularly advises business entities on matters of employment law, including sexual harassment, discrimination, and wrongful termination. Her clients include public companies, private businesses, executives, and celebrities.
Ms. Kilgore obtained her law degree from Georgetown University Law Center, where she was Editor in Chief of the American Criminal Law Review. A former water polo All-American, Ms. Kilgore earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in History from San Diego State University, where she led her team to the NCAA Final Four. Before beginning her legal career, Ms. Kilgore competed as the starting goalkeeper for the Fremantle Marlins, a women’s water polo team based in Perth, Australia. Ms. Kilgore finished her career with the Marlins in 2008 when the team finished with a second consecutive national championship.
Ms. Kilgore is the Managing Partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
- Successfully represented celebrity in high-profile defamation action before the U.S. Supreme Court, resulting in a full dismissal of claims.
- Obtained jury verdict against Uber Technologies, Inc. and its founders in first phase of a $1-billion trade secrets theft case.
- Obtained summary judgment for the former president and COO of a multinational casino and resorts company in a securities class action in federal court. The summary judgment order was subsequently affirmed by the Ninth Circuit.
- Successfully pursued cross-claim on behalf of an engineering company in a state court action involving contract and fraud claims.
- Defended biotechnology company in a shareholder derivative action involving allegations of improper stock option grants to senior executives and directors, resulting in favorable non-monetary settlement.
- Successfully represented former CFO of a software company in an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission involving the company’s revenue recognition and accounting practices.
- Represented multinational software engineering company in a London Court of International Arbitration proceeding involving a breach of contract claim based on agreement to provide bespoke software system.
- Successfully represented outdoor media company in several lawsuits involving highly valuable commercial real estate, including one lawsuit in which Ms. Kilgore obtained a contempt order against the opposing parties.
Awards & Recognition
- “On the Rise – Top 40 Young Lawyers in America” by the American Bar Association (2022)
- “Leaders of Influence: Litigators & Trial Attorneys” in Los Angeles Business Journal (2022, 2023)
- “Top Women Lawyers” in Daily Journal (2022, 2023)
- “Women of Influence: Attorneys” in Los Angeles Business Journal (2022 – 2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, Litigation – Securities (2022)
- “Labor & Employment Star” in Benchmark Litigation (2021)
- “40 and Under” in Benchmark Litigation (2023)
- “40 and Under Hot List” in Benchmark Litigation (2021)
- “Ones to watch” in Southern California’s Best Lawyers (2023, 2024)
- “Rising Star” in Southern California Super Lawyers (2020 – 2022)
- “Top Women Attorneys” in Los Angeles Business Journal (2020)
- “Top 40 Under 40” Lawyer in Daily Journal (2019)
Professional & Community Activities
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Board of Trustees, Executive Member (2020 – 2023)
- Barristers/Young Attorneys Section, President (2021 – 2022)
- President-Elect (2020 – June 2021)
- Vice President (2019 – 2020)
- Assistant Vice President of Special Events (2017 – 2019)
- Continuing Legal Education Chair (2016 – 2017)
- Executive Committee Member (2015 – present)
- Business & Corporations Law Section, Executive Committee Member/Barristers Liaison (2017 – 2019)
- Membership Benefits Committee/Membership Task Force, Executive Member (2019 – present)
- Nominating Committee, Member (2018)
- L.A. Superior Court, Bench & Bar Committee, Civil, Member
- Institute for Corporate Counsel, Advisory Board Member (2018 – present)
- American Bar Association, Member
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Member of the Board of Governors
- Mission Plasticos, Board Member
- Public Counsel Associate Leadership Board, Member
- San Diego State University, Aztec Mentor Program, Mentor
Barristers Tips: Success Through Teamwork
Author, L.A. Lawyer, Vol. 44, No. 9 | July/August 2021
LACBA Installation 2021
Speaker, L.A. County Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA | June 24, 2021
Bridging the Gap 2019
Speaker, L.A. County Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA | March 2019
Building a Book of Business – Beyond the Business Card
Presenter, L.A. County Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA | March 2019
Drafting the Deal with Litigation in Mind
Speaker, L.A. County Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA | March 2018
Creating an Effective Relationship with In-House Counsel
Author, L.A. Lawyer, Vol. 40, No. 3 | May 2017
The Challenges of Working with First-Time Experts
Author, L.A. Lawyer, Vol. 39, No. 6 | September 2016
SEC Increases Enforcement Activity in 2014
Co-Author, Daily Journal | November 2014
Yet Another Case Counters 6th Circ.’s Omnicare Reasoning
Co-Author, Law360 | September 2014
SEC Guidance on Cybersecurity
Co-Author, L.A. Lawyer, Vol. 37, No. 6 | September 2014
Three Years On: Lessons from “Say on Pay” Shareholder Litigation
Co-Author, Inside Counsel | December 2013
Whistleblower Award Is a Bellwether
Co-Author, Daily Journal | October 2013
A Global Concern: The Rise of International Securities Litigation
Co-Author, Securities Regulation & Law Report | April 2013
Eight Greenberg Gross Lawyers Honored by The Best Lawyers in America 2024 and Partner Evan Borges Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 2023 |
Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Named to Los Angeles Business Journal’s 2023 “Women of Influence: Attorneys” List
April 2023 |
Five Greenberg Gross Lawyers Honored by The Best Lawyers in America 2023
August 2022 |
Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Named to Los Angeles Business Journal’s 2022 “Leaders of Influence: Litigators & Trial Attorneys” List
July 2022 |
Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Named to the ABA’s Elite “On the Rise” List – the Top 40 Young Lawyers in America for 2022
July 2022 |
Partner Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Named in the 2022 list of Legal Visionaries by Los Angeles Times Business of Law magazine
June 2022 |
Partners Sarah Kelly-Kilgore and Deborah Mallgrave Named Two of the Daily Journal’s Top Women Lawyers 2022
News | May 2022 |
Daily Journal Again Names Greenberg Gross One of California’s Top Boutique Law Firms
News | October 2021 |
Five Greenberg Gross Lawyers Honored by The Best Lawyers in America 2022, including Evan Borges as “Lawyer of the Year”
News | August 2021 |
Partner Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Named to Benchmark Litigation’s 40 & Under Hot List 2021
News | July 2021 |
Partner Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Installed as LACBA Barristers President 2021-2022, Continues on LACBA’s Executive Committee
News | July 2021 |
Two Lawyers Named 2021 Southern California Rising Stars – Super Lawyers
News | June 2021 |
Two Lawyers Selected as 2020 Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars
News | June 2020 |
Greenberg Gross Partner Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Named to “Top Women Attorneys” List by Los Angeles Business Journal
News | April 2020 |
BREAKING: Uber Must Face $1B Trade Secrets Suit, Jury Finds – Law360
Law360 | February 2020 |
Greenberg Gross Partner Sarah Kelly-Kilgore Named “Top 40 Under 40” Lawyer in California Daily Journal
Press Release | August 2019 |
Greenberg Gross LLP Elevates Star Litigator Sarah Kelly-Kilgore to Partner
Press Release | August 2018 |